Message from CEO
"Greater energy and greater passion is more extraordinary than greater genius." — Lt. General Arjun Ray,(Retd.),PVSM,VSM
Issue 169, February 2017
1. To succeed and flourish in the 21st century, the reading habit is a must. Parents and teachers are mandated to ensure children go even beyond into deep reading, reading with the purpose of transforming oneself to be a good person, and being prepared for a future we do not know.
2. We have entered the age of a-literacy wherein individuals are consciously exercising their choice not to read. The latest reading statistics from the US are disturbing. 33 percent high school graduates never read a single book after leaving school. And 42 percent college graduates do not read any book after graduation.
3. The book-reading habit must start with teachers. The following book-reading strategies will help:
Step 1: Daily goal of reading 20 pages for 8 months.
- Keep a log and use a habit tracking app like catch.me.
- Logs ensure accountability
Step 2: Always carry a book or a Kindle.
Step 3: Select a particular time in the day to read – morning after exercise is preferable.
Step 4: Eliminate distraction by muting the mobile.
Step 5: Read liberal newspapers, watch selected videos, and read quality magazines like The Economist, Time and Wired.
With warm regards,
Lieutenant General Arjun Ray, PVSM, VSM (Retd.)
Chief Executive Officer